Thursday, January 7, 2016

How to cultivate

Because 
We were once sweet, young golden-eyed things with an intelligent face 

Once craning our necks to get a glimpse 
Of the bright future
Fingers locked in a tight embrace. 

Once 
All play fights, domestic cooking and pillow talk. 

And
blood stained pages 
Tore 
Apart -

We choke 
We balk - 

Because 
In dark desert streets, 
They lay me down 
They lacerate my clothes and skin 
Brought out my true identity from deep within.

Ashes, ashes, 
We all fall down. 

We all 
Fall

I sat in the office 
Pulling threads at the worn 
seat cushions of the blue therapist's couch. 

Refusing to talk. 

Crumple,
Slouch. 

Listen close to how my ribs break 
How my even measured breathing 
Turns raspy, gasping 

Because 

"Don't be afraid
Don't be afraid",
They keep telling me; and to be fair, its clear they're dismayed. 

But the misguided means of comfort, thinking a prayer will solve an arterial wound? 
an idiot's bandaid. 

"Comfort"? No, 
Conformity.


And my shadow sags against the wall in exhaustion, falling back into quiet routine with a smart snap 
Like a guillotine. 

I am not quite recovered
from my skeletal years.
I snarl,
close to tears. 

We were once golden eyed things 
With romantisized memories of harps and wings - 
And now
and now
we all fall down. 



No comments:

Post a Comment